Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Sonscape 2011

A week that Kris and I have been waiting for, for 10 years......but didn't even know it!
Our Counselor couple, Mike and Sandy, were really tough on us!!!! Ha, actually they were exactly who I needed. Sandy new just when affirmation would be the hardest to take but exactly what I needed. And Mike, he said the hard things that God wanted me to hear. I heard you, Mike!
Kris was really closed to the whole thing. :)
Wayne and Kandy from Texas. Our host couple. The fun of the retreat. All through the week God gave me little gifts. Wayne reminded me in sweet ways of my Dad. From his "stories" aka jokes. His wisdom on business and lifetime of being a great business man. I really respected my Dad in his integrity. Wayne....same thing. Thank you, Wayne.
And then there was Kandy. Whenever I tell people my Sonscape story I have to tell them about the little look that passed between Kandy and I that said, "we know how to have fun!" I have heard other peoples Sonscape story and how they enjoyed meals together as a group and then went their seperate ways to enjoy MORE silence and solitude. Well, my Father knew that by the evening I had had just about as much silence and solitude as I could take. It was time to party! We ate, we laughed, we played games!!!!! Love you Kandy and am thankful that God put you at Sonscape just for me!
While at Sonscape they told us numerous times, "you can do whatever you want". Pretty liberating, huh?! But then there was the technology fast we were on.... Well, on our Sabbath near the end of our experience we decided that we were going to "play". And our "play" included renting a movie, driving up, up, up into the mountains onto a trail where no one else was and watching a movie on our in car DVD player! So fun!!!!

Fabulous Barbara. missionary to cambodia, Love you!

On the last evening we had a cook out and it wouldn't be a mountain cookout without a little snow. Remember, Wayne is from Texas, probably a new experience for him!
This is the beautiful sight that greeted us when we came down from the mountain.

So what am I bringing home with me? The absolute best thing is that my Father loves me. And that is a whole story all its own, but the best one of my life!
Our pace, our schedule, our sabbath, solitude, play....I am praying that it all changes in some small, some big ways. Kris and I came down from the mountain both with sweet times listening to our Father and really knowing His voices better than ever. So, what He wants different in our lives, we're listening, and wanting to change.
At times Kris and I have asked eacthother, "can we just go back to Sonscape". But you don't live on the mountaintops....you go there to get quiet, get rest, listen to your God and then come down and get back to the people God has for you. I am just at the very beginning of understanding God's purpose for my unique little life but I know for sure it begins with, He loves me!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Love this! So fun to hear your story. And the photos are GREAT! xxoo

lambkan said...

THANKS FOR THE BLOG...IT WAS AN INCREDIBLE WEEK....
AND I THANK GOD FOR HAVING YOU THERE JUST FOR ME...WHAT GREAT MEMORIES
WE WERE SO BLESSED BY YOU!
EXCEPT, I DO THINK IT IS MY TIME FOR A FARKEL WIN!!!
LOVE
KANDY

Natalie said...

I helped lead a ladies retreat this weekend and guess what game we played as a tournament for a late night activity....Farkle!!!!!

Unknown said...

i'm so glad you got to have Mike and Sandy, we so enjoyed their honesty with us. I thot the solitude might be a little much, I was glad we had some game people, and a few that liked the hot tub.

lauren said...

i loved the closed pic of kris. made me laugh :) glad you guys had a great time!!